In an increasingly competitive retail landscape, it’s crucial for businesses to attract and retain customers while boosting revenue. But where do you even begin?
One proven strategy many businesses adopt is the gift-with-purchase (GWP) model. This approach draws customers in by offering them a valuable incentive when they make a qualifying purchase. It could take many forms, such as a complementary product or service.
By giving free stuff with certain purchases, retailers can create more memorable shopping experiences, improve customer satisfaction, increase sales, and ultimately achieve higher revenue goals.
The benefits of incorporating a gift-with-purchase strategy are twofold. First, a free gift can draw consumers into your store or onto your e-commerce platform. This increased traffic is vital—who wouldn’t want to attract more visitors?
Second, consumers are more likely to make an unplanned purchase when they can justify it with the added value of a free gift. Getting something for free sweetens the deal, and this is deeply rooted in consumer psychology. Because of this, GWP is a powerful tool you can use to get ahead of the competition.
In this blog post, we will explore the gift-with-purchase model in detail. Together, we will ensure you pick up the knowledge and tools you need to make your gift with purchase strategy a game changer.
As explained above, a gift with purchase (GWP) model is a promotional technique where you give away a complimentary item to customers purchasing a qualifying product or hitting a certain amount within a purchase. From supermarkets to luxury retailers, a lot of brands across various sectors have successfully used this technique to attract customers and drive up their sales.
While the concept of GWP may seem simple, it can be tricky to pull off. The key to its success lies in choosing a gift that appeals to your target audience, aligns with your brand identity, and complements the purchased product. So, how can you do this? Here are a few tips and tricks:
1. Set Some Goals: As with football games, you can’t score without goals. Are you looking to increase sales of a particular product, drive customer loyalty, or launch a new product line? Your objectives will define the structure of your campaign, from the gift selection to the qualifying purchase threshold.
2. Know Your Target Audience: Understanding your customers' demographics and interests is fundamental in selecting the right gift. You wouldn’t give out a leather pouch if your ideal customers are vegans. While this may be an extreme example, it makes a point: put yourself in their shoes and know what they really want and need.
3. Select the Right GWP: Your chosen gift should offer a perceived value that attracts people to make the qualifying purchase. However, make sure it stays within your budget. Your gift can be a trial-sized version of a complementary product, a limited edition item, or even a time-sensitive service or discount.
4. Promote Your GWP Effectively: What’s the sense of launching a campaign if no one knows about it? Once you have chosen a gift and established the qualifying purchase requirement(s), you should promote your GWP campaign. Use in-store displays, email marketing, social media, and your website to spread awareness about your promotion. Don't forget to communicate the benefits of the gift clearly and showcase its value to draw people in!
5. Track Your Campaign Performance: Regularly monitor the success of your GWP campaign by analysing key metrics such as sales, average order value, and customer engagement. Doing so will make sure you’re on the right track, and you can gather insights to make your future campaigns successful as well.
When implementing a GWP campaign, one major challenge retailers face is sourcing the ideal gift within budget. Partnering with a sourcing agent like us can be a game-changer in this regard. We offer a range of services to help you successfully execute a GWP strategy:
1. Find Hot Products: Our team has extensive experience in identifying product trends and sourcing hot items that resonate with your target audience. We can help you find high-quality, cost-effective gifts in line with your campaign goals.
2. Find Reputable Suppliers: We have a network of reputable suppliers across a huge range of industries. We'll connect you with the best, so you can source better than the rest.
3. Price Negotiation: One of our key strengths is negotiating prices with suppliers, ensuring you don’t get the short end of the stick when sourcing your chosen gift items.
4. Quality Control: We monitor the entire product lifecycle, ensuring the chosen gift maintains high-quality standards and aligns with your brand.
5. Logistics Management: Our experts handle the logistics of shipping and tracking your gift items to ensure smooth and timely delivery, providing you with a hassle-free experience throughout the GWP campaign.
Several well-known brands have seen significant success with GWP campaigns. A notable example is the Australian skincare brand, Jurlique. They offered a complimentary beauty set valued at over $100 to customers that spent a minimum of $150 on their products. This GWP campaign was not only an attractive incentive to boost the average order value but also served as an opportunity for customers to try products they might not have purchased otherwise.
Another example is a campaign run by Panasonic, which offered free Adobe software for a limited time for Lumix G camera range purchases across Europe. It was successful due to the Adobe software’s value to photographers, which is a testament to the importance of knowing your audience when offering gifts.
Implementing an effective GWP strategy can significantly boost your retail revenue while enhancing customer satisfaction. Understanding your target audience, selecting the right gifts, and partnering with a skilled sourcing agent are critical components for success. By adopting this strategic approach, you can create memorable shopping experiences, strengthen brand loyalty, and, ultimately, fuel business growth.
With the help of Epic Sourcing’s sourcing expertise, you can bring a GWP campaign to life without the stress normally associated with sourcing products from China. If you have any questions, feel free to connect with your Australian-based product-sourcing agent.